CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Search This Blog

♫ Stuff In My Head ♫

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Say Thank You For What?

i was reading some past posts from angryangmoh.com and came across one comment posted by someone named "James".

That particular post was talking abt why some Singaporeans have a problem with saying "Thank You" and a lot of us walk around like someone owes us the world.

I must say, his reply is unfortunately, true and I agree with every single word. It really set me thinking.

"During my stay in Western Australia, I was amazed why everybody was always happy and smiling. At the end of 2 years, I found some reasons. There’s minimum wage levels - nobody is poor if they are willing to work. A “bricky” can earn as much as an engineer. And if you are really destitute, there’s real welfare - not $330 per month.University education is free, and scholarships, if needed, are bond free. Red Shield provides free medicals - including cover for foreign students. The free bus ride to King’s Park - after 30 years - is still free. Beer is cheaper than Coca Cola. Barbeque pits are free - BYO only, no need for permit application. Etc, etc.

Back in Singapore, it’s GST, ERP, COE, PARF, road tax, water conservation tax, tv licence, school fees, supplementary fees, and a prime minister that demands to be paid 5 times what Obama gets.

What for you say thank you?"


That said, I have to admit that there is also a flip side to it.

"James" makes it sound like as if this gives us, Singaporeans, all the right in the world to act like Kings and Queens.

I am sure everyone has come across the lady who shoves and pushes her way in the train, the guy who sits at the next table during lunch, demanding for a clean glass of water or the mother who "parks" her pram in the middle of nowhere, blocking the way of the escalator, exit or whatsoever (typical ugly Singaporeans).

I meet at least 2 of them, everyday.

Honestly, the way our govt functions the way it does (sometimes against our favour) doesn't mean we shud walk ard feeling angry at the world. This is where we were born, where we were educated. Where our homes are built, and where our friends and family live. I agree that some regulations/systems should be done away with in Singapore, but the others have served us well for more than 40 years and resulted in a safe, stable and flourishing country.

We, Singaporeans, have to learn to be gracious, grateful and contented. Cuz these traits seem to be the ones that set us apart from our neighbouring countries. (We are known to be complain kings/queens, rude and demanding, from what I hear.)

Like the saying goes, "快乐是一天,不快乐也是一天。" it wudn't solve anything if you choose to walk ard the whole day pulling a long face. it will make it a bad day for urself and nobody else.

So in support of the Singapore Kindness Movement, why don't we all try to say "Thank You" and "You're Welcome" today? It will brighten up your day and someone else's day too. :) I would love to see Singapore turn into a friendly and happy society!

What can I say, I love and hate Singapore. But at the end of the day, it is my home and no matter where I am in the world, the only place I will call home, is Singapore.

National Day haven't come lah. I just feeling only. :p

0 comments: