CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Search This Blog

♫ Stuff In My Head ♫

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hanson on GG

Let's talk a bit about the music in GG today, instead of my regular rantings abt its beautiful cast..

So anyone who knows me knows i'm a musical person. music is a big part of my life.. a lot of the life-changing points in my life so far can be easily represented by a certain song or a certain band/singer.

and being the kind of person I am, i am extremely sensitive to the music that is playing ard me. be it in movies, on tv, in the record store, ringtones playing out of mobile phones, in the shopping malls bla bla bla.

In GG, i noticed most of their music were funk and silghtly chill-out. it realli sets the mood for the uber cool show and when suddenly, they play a slow, endearing tune in one of those tear-jerking scenes, one will realli stop to listen.

it happened to me on the very pilot episode of GG - when i was still trying to grasp the storyline, familiarising myself with its characters and basically taking and breathing all of it in.. when i heard the song.

it was a bit alternative, leaning more towards slow rock/pop. when the vocals came on, it was raspy and very depressing. the tune of the song realli made the scene very impressionable.. one of those whereby the whole screen just looks perfect. music playing, lady walking in the wind, hair blowing beautifully across her face.. even the passers-by were looking good.

i thot i felt my heartbeat jus miss a beat. the song was beautiful.

so without doubt, i googled it the very next day and it was an extremely pleasant surprise when i found out that the song was "Go" and performed by Hanson. (Zac as the lead on this one, otherwise i would have totally recognised Taylor's voice!)


So going back to my very musically-influenced life.. Hanson was a BIG part of my life for a good 7 to 8 years. If my sis is reading, she'd be cringing now. cuz she'd be remembering my 10 to 15 hanson posters in our small room, my pc with hanson's faces strewn all over my wallpaper and screensaver, my files and books all wrapped up in "Hanson Rules!" scribblings (and i fondly rem one incident when my sis cud not take it anymore and screamed at me, "this is my room and there no other RULES except mine!"), the endless playing of Hanson's songs on our cd player and the struggling/painful strummings of an aspiring guitar player (er, that wud be me). yes, hanson influenced me so much i actually picked up guitar for them! (self-taught with the help a friend's, mind u!) i can still play it today but will probably need to learn some new songs, other than the hanson ones - the only ones i know.

so the song is from their latest studio album, "The Walk", which i actually have lying around somewhere in my drawer. Even after the 7/8 years of frenzied idolization, i continued to support them by buying every studio released album. but since the frenzy is not there anymore.. i bought it and chucked it. :( nv got ard to listening to it until i watched GG and went looking for the album i have hidden somewhere.


it is wonderful. i've missed taylor's voice more than i knew!

and also thru a few other websites, i found out that Taylor has recently joined a "Superband" (this means a group of already-famous ppl come together and form a new band - something like 183 club in TW). "Tinted Windows" consist of guitarist James Iha, previously of The Smashing Pumpkins, singer Taylor Hanson of Hanson, bassist Adam Schlesinger of Fountains of Wayne and Ivy, and Bun E. Carlos of Cheap Trick. I am widely surprised by this new idea (considering some of these guys are easily his father's age!) and hugely pleased to know that Taylor is making efforts to revive his career, and not let his beautiful face and recognised talent go to waste. but, how is taylor like working outside of his own band?? i nv thot he wud go down this path so it is a very very intriguing thot for me.

If you don't see a similarity, the 2nd one from the right is Taylor Hanson.

however, i am upset that Taylor is no longer as beautiful as he used to be.. but his voice.. his voice is still as captivating. haha, i think i am the only person in the world who wud say that abt his voice. but it is exactly what it does to me.. i have been held captive for years!

Tinted Windows have only one song out on digital release so far.. and i have downloaded it and am loving it. the music style is apparently "an early 80s kinda vibe" but IMO, it's still pretty much pop-rock, very similar to what used to rule the radio stations in the late 90s. and some parts of the song sounds very movie soundtrack-ish. not that i am complaining..! Taylor is the lead singer of the band and i cannot be more pleased with that decision!

If you have a bit of time.. download Kind of a Girl and listen to it for yourself!

0 comments: